Get ready for some tea and scones! This recipe comes our friends, the Newtons. It is one of their favorite scone recipes & we soon adopted it into our favorite category too! My parents became good friends with the Newtons from their time in Mexico.
2 c. flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 T sugar
1/2 c. butter or margairne, cut up
2/3 c. buttermilk (or sourmilk)
1/2 c. dried cranberries or raisins (my mom likes chocolate chips in her scones)
1 T milk
1 T sugar
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Add buttermilk and cranberries, stirring until just moistened.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times (like iscuits) and pat into an 8″ circle. Be careful not to handle the dough too much!
- Cut into 8 wedges and place 1″ apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake @ 425 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own sourmilk by adding some lemon juice to milk.